10/29/2012

Kakiage-Don (rice bowl)





The big hurricane Sandy arrived in Boston.  Due to this, all public schools were cancelled and also almost public translation didn't work.  I tried to go outside to grocery shopping because I didn't have so many stuff in the fridge but no sooner had I opened the entrance door then I gave up to do that because it was incredible strong rain more than expected.


Anyway, it was better to stay at home today.  Actually I was seeing outside from my room but nobody was there.

I made a Kakiage-donburi with all ingredients I had.  Kakiage is a type of tempura and a Japanese dish of seafood or vegetables that have been battered and deep fried.  It's really crispy and has a lot of flavor!  Usually I don't make this kind of deep fry but today I had a lot of free time so made it!!


Kakiage-Don (2 Serves)
  • 1/2 of onion
  • 10 pieces of freezer or raw shrimp
  • 3 Tbs os edamame
  • cooked rice for 2 person
  • 1/2 cup of flour (☆)
  • 2 Tbs of corn starch (☆)
  • 1 tsp of baking powder (☆)
  • 1/4 tsp of salt (☆)
  • 100〜150cc of water
  • 1 tsp of vinegar
sauce for kakiage-don
  • 6 Tbs of mirin
  • 3 Tbs of soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs of sugar
  • 100cc of dashi

1,  Peel shrimps and remove the digestive tract from the back of the prawn.  Cut into small pieces.  Cut onion into thin slices.  Put onion, shrimp and edamame in a bowl.

2,  Make batter.  Mix (☆) and add cold water and vinegar and mix quickly.  Don't mix too much.  If you think the batter isn't thin enough like this picture, you can add water a bit by bit. 




3,  Add onion, shrimp and edamame to the batter and mix lightly.


4,  Pour oil to a pan and heat it until quite hot.  When you drop a bit of batter from high position and batter rises quickly, it' a sign that you can start deep-frying.

5,  Deep fry the kakiage ingredients using two spoons to make a circle.


6,  After the edge become light brown, remove from oil and put on kitchen paper or news paper to remove extra oil.



7,  Make a sauce for kakiage-don.  Heat a pan and mirin until boiling then add all ingredients of sauce.  Heat and boil for 1 minutes or so.

8,  Place cooked rice in a rice bowl and add 1 Tbs of sauce.  Place kakiage on the rice and add sauce as much as you like. 



It has been really long time since I had kakiage-donburi last time.  I was so happy that I could enjoy this flavor and crispy texture in a while.


I enjoyed relaxing in my room today but hope that the hurricane will go away from Boston and disappear soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment